- Date: Monday, September 26, 2022
- Location: Essex County Club – Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
- Entry Fee: $750/player
- Registration Date: 3/7/22 at 12 p.m. ET
- Format: The Backyahd is a 36-hole (18 best ball, 18 alternate shot) team event where players will compete as two-person teams for both gross and net prizes. Men and women welcome! Singles are also more than welcome to sign up and will be paired with another golfer for the day. Registration includes tee gifts, prizes, breakfast, a big lunch, and a post-golf hors d’oeuvres.
- Is there a handicap requirement? Absolutely not. Everyone from PGA Tour members to 35 handicappers have participated and we’re happy to have them all. Both net and gross scores are kept for that exact reason. If you don’t want your score counted and would rather just enjoy the golf course, you can do that too!
- Why you should see Essex County Club: When discussing the best designs of the great Donald Ross, Essex County Club has to be on short list. While his stout championship courses — Oakland Hills, Pinehurst No. 2, and Seminole — certainly come to mind, Essex is a members course and exceptionally fun to play day in day out. At Essex you will find some eccentric features unique to the Ross portfolio, such as the 8th fairway, the bold par-3 11th, and the closing two holes that climb and drop 180 feet on their way to the clubhouse. If you are into architecture and looking to see the country’s best, Essex is a course you must see.
- Behind the Name: ECC was quite literally Donald Ross’s backyard during the summers in the early 1900s! Ross served as the head professional at ECC from 1909-1913 and lived in a house off the 15th tee.
- 7:15 a.m. – Registration opens, breakfast and practice facilities available
- 8:30 a.m. – Morning round (Best ball)
- 12:30 p.m. – Lunch
- 2:00 p.m. – Afternoon Round (Alternate shot)
- 6:00 p.m. – Shootout
- 7:00 p.m. – Awards & Hors d’oeuvres
Traveling to Manchester-by-the-Sea
Essex County Club is just up the coast from downtown Boston. Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) is your best bet for flights.
Manchester-by-the-Sea itself has limited options in terms of lodging but the surrounding towns have plenty to offer. For those looking to stay in downtown Boston, the drive to ECC should only take you 30-40 minutes the morning of the event.
The Wylie Inn and Conference Center in Beverly is just 13 minutes from ECC and located just blocks from the Atlantic Ocean. Rates start at $215/night
The Candlewood Suites Boston North Shore offers a budget-friendly option with rates starting at $127/night
Halfway between Boston and ECC is the Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites. Rates start at $266/night